FAQ's

I have a book that lists Poinsettias as a poisonous plant, but a recent magazine article states that they are not poisonous. Who is right?

The following information is from The Poinsettia Manual, 3rd Edition, by Paul Ecke, Jr et al., published by Paul Ecke Poinsettia, Encinitas, CA: Unfortunately, since around 1919, an old wives' tale has circulated concerning the alleged poisonous nature of poinsettias. Even though there was never any medical documentation or scientific evidence to back up this poison myth, it has scared people into thinking that parts of the poinsettia plant, if ingested by humans or pets, could be lethal. Extensive research conducted at the Ohio State University, however, has found that laboratory rats, when given unusually high doses of various parts of the poinsettia, show no mortality, no symptoms of toxicity, and no changes in dietary intake or general behavioral patterns. This research has effectively disproved the myth that the poinsettia is harmful to human and animal health if parts of the plant are ingested. In fact, the POISINDEX R Information Service, the information resource used by the majority of poison control centers around the country, states that a 50 pound child would have to ingest 1-1/4 pounds of poinsettia bracts (500-600 brackets) to surpass experimental doses. And, at those levels there was no toxicity. Furthermore, according to the American Medical Association, no deaths or serious injuries have been attributed to poinsettia ingestion

 

Nursery Hours:  
Mon, - Sat. 7:30 am to 6 pm
Sunday 8 am to 6 pm
Shop/Rental Department Hours:
Mon. - Fri. 7:30 am.- 5:30:pm.
Saturday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm
Sunday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm 

Closed Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas Day

2743 Capital Cir NE, Tallahassee, FL 32308